Since quite some time, I had reading about a very dangerous chemical included in most of the face wash brands known as Sodium Laureth Sulfate.
Sodium laureth sulfate, or sodium lauryl ether sulfate (SLES), is an anionic detergent and surfactant found in many personal care products. SLES is an irritant like many other detergents, with the irritation increasing with concentration. It has also been shown that SLES causes eye or skin irritation in experiments done on animals and humans. Some products containing SLES have been found to also contain traces (up to 279 ppm) of 1,4-dioxane. 1,4-dioxane is classified in the U.S. state of California to cause cancer. The FDA encourages manufacturers to remove 1,4-dioxane,
Naturally, when I read this, I was worried because I had heard from a lot of different sources that SLES can cause cancer. Since then, I had been looking out for a substitute to face washes containing SLES. Recently, I saw the ad of Delicca Powder Face Wash which said that it was Sulfate-free. On my next trip to the supermarket, I checked it out and purchased it. I have been using it for a month approximately now. I have very sensitive skin and after using any face wash, I feel a tingling irritation on my skin and a feel of residue left behind inspite of washing it thoroughly. With Delicca face wash, my skin felt soft and silky with no irritation or residue left behind. Delicca is made of completely natural ingredients. I am listing the ingredients and their description below. If there is anything which is wrongly described, please feel free to correct me. I am not a scientist and have tried my best to get the right description of the ingredients.
1. Glucose (/also known as D-glucose,dextrose, or grape sugar) is a simple aldosic monosaccharide found in plants.
2. Anhydrous – means a cleanser containing no water.
3. Sodium Cocoyl Isethionate is a sodium salt ester, or a fatty acid derived from coconut oil.
4. Hydroxypropyl Starch Phosphate is a naturally-derived sugar used in cosmetics and beauty products because of its ability to serve as a surfactant and emulsifier. It is often seen in hair products because it is gentle on hair and imparts a smooth, velvety feel.
5. Aluminum Starch Octenylsuccinate is a modified starch. Starch is a complex carbohydrate made by plants.
6. Turmeric Powder (Haldi Powder)
7. Magnesium Aluminum Silicate is a naturally occurring mineral derived from refined and purified clay that is used primarily as a thickener in cosmetics and beauty products.
8. Sodium Lauroyl Glutamate is is a mild amino acid based surfactant derived from natural and renewable resources. Created from coconut oil and Glutamic Acid, this gentle cleanser has excellent cleansing and foaming properties, is environmentally-friendly and well-tolerated by sensitive skin types.
9. Sodium benzoate is a widely used food preservative. It is the sodium salt of benzoic acid and exists in this form when dissolved in water. It is the sodium salt of benzoic acid and exists in this form when dissolved in water.
10. Polyquaternium-10 is Quaternized hydroxyethyl cellulose. Hydroxyethyl cellulose is a gelling and thickening agent derived from cellulose. Cellulose is an organic compound and it is an important structural component of the primary cell wall of green plants,
11. Hydroxypropyl methylcellulose is an odorless and tasteless, white to slightly off-white, fibrous or granular, free-flowing powder that is a synthetic modification of the natural polymer,
Method of Application:
Wet your face and hands, Dispense a small amount of the powder and spread it into hands. Apply gently on your face and work into lather. Rinse thoroughly with water. Avoid contact with eyes.
I have been using Delicca on my sensitive skin and there is no irritation or discomfort. My skin feels softened. And I am relieved I am Sulfate-free now.